Channel 4 Series : Dementiaville, Programme 2 : Supporting Families
The first programme in this series featured Poppy Lodge at Galanos House, a Royal British Legion Care Home. Poppy Lodge follows our Butterfly Household Model of Care and also holds our National Quality of Life Butterfly Award.
For over 35 years I have been alongside many people living with a dementia , their partners and families. Often for a very long time families have been doing their best with very little support or guidance. When I do meet families a common statement made to me is ' Why didn't I know this - why did no one tell me how to ' BE ' - it would have made such a difference'
In the second programme in this series I was asked to meet and support 3 families who are experiencing living with dementia.
The programme explores with these inspiring families their emotional journey together.
Our Key Messages
* people living with a dementia are more feeling beings than thinking beings
* joining a person in their reality involves crossing the bridge into their world
* loving the person as they are and not trying to ' fix ' them reduces stress
* emotional memories are one key to reaching the person on the inside
* helping a person to be who they were and to live in the moment works
* everything a person says or does has some meaning and is about a feeling
* the person is still there if only we can find them, this means searching beyond the literal
* there are no experts in dementia care it's just about thinking outside of the box
* remember you are doing your best and you too are only human
It was an honour to meet and be alongside the 3 families in the Programme as they explored what ' Being Together ' means
Being Together Resources
For an information sheet on Dementia Care Matters approach go to our website.
For information on a ' Being Together ' course for group facilitators click here
For more information for family members read Dr David Sheard Information Sheet
Learn more from our range of products available from our Dementia Care Matters shop
DVD 1: Feelings in dementia care matter
Help colleagues to understand the importance of ‘being’ person centred with people with dementia rather than focussing on ‘doing’ tasks.
DVD 6: Needing a real quality dementia care home
Understand what family members really want from a dementia care home
Book 1: “Being: an approach to life and living with a dementia.”
BEING person centred involves helping staff to shift their focus from only “doing” tasks to being able to reach people on the inside. Being takes a fresh look at what it really means to be person centred.
Want to learn more about Dr David Sheard and Dementia Care Matters approach, join our You Tube channel for exclusive clips
Read David Sheards latest article for the Open University 'Creating Moments through "Being Together"'
Thank you for watching this Series - your interest is really appreciated.
Please spread the message that great dementia care is all about the need for great emotional support.
David Sheard (Dr)
CEO / Founder,Dementia Care Matters.
Visiting Senior Fellow,University of Surrey.
Care Personality of the Year 2014 - 16th UK National Care Awards
Channel 4 Series Consultant - Dementiaville
More Dementia Care Matters Articles can be found here